Association BY-Laws of ICVC
ARTICLE I: NAME
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
ARTICLE IV: EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
ARTICLE V: DUTIES OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBERS
ARTICLE VI: INCOME AND EXPENDITURE
ARTICLE VII: ELECTION
ARTICLE VIII: SPECIAL TASK COMMITTEE
ARTICLE IX: STANDARDS & CODES OF CONDUCT
The name of the corporation is International Cultural Voice of California.
- This corporation is a nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation and is not organized for the
private gain of any person. It is organized under the Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law for public and charitable purposes.
- The specific purpose of this organization, located at San Diego, California, shall be to promote education of world culture, literature, charitable and environmental education for the diverse community in local, regional, national and international community to create harmony in the multicultural society.
- This Association is organized and operated exclusively for the cultural, charitable, and
educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- The net earnings of this Association shall be used to pay reasonable out of pocket expenses for services rendered for its various activities and to make payments and distribution in furtherance of the exempt purposes for which it was formed and not to benefit its Members, trustees, officers or other.
- The Association will comply with all the provisions and requirements required for an
organization exempt from Federal Income Tax under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Annual Membership dues of the International Cultural Voice of California (ICVC) shall be determined by the Executive Committee (EC) and clearly notified to the General Body. From this point on throughout this document, International Cultural Voice of California and Executive Committee and Board of Advisers shall be referred to as ICVC and EC and BOA respectively.
- “Annual Membership dues” shall include the fees of a specified number of ICVC events.
- The names of these events included shall be notified in advance by the EC.
- The EC has the right to alter the fees with at least 2 weeks advance notice to the General Body.
- Membership year is defined as the calender year term from January 1 to December 31 of each year.
- An ICVC “member” is defined as an individual/group that has paid the annual membership dues during the membership year as defined in Article III, paragraph B.
- The EC shall consist of President, Vice-President, General Secretary, Cultural Secretary and Treasurer.
- The EC shall have the overall responsibility for the functioning of ICVC.
- The EC shall direct the funds of ICVC.
- The EC shall not have two members from the same family.
- The EC shall act only by a simple majority vote of a quorum on a motion properly made and seconded. In case the EC is deadlocked on any issue, the President is empowered to cast the tie-breaking vote after evaluating the issue at hand in detail.
- The discussions and decisions of the EC shall be recorded in Meeting Minutes in either
electronic or paper means.
- The EC is charged with furthering the objectives of ICVC in the best possible way as
circumstances change. The succeeding paragraphs delineate the duties of each EC Member and are illustrative, but not exhaustive.
- The duties of the President shall include:
- Setting the strategy and long-term direction of ICVC.
- Ensuring a smooth transition of records and assets to the next President.
- Presiding over General Body and EC meetings.
- Coordinating all activities of ICVC in consultation with EC Members.
- Appointing Sub-Committees and designating its Convener with the consent of the Executive Committee whenever deemed necessary.
- Representing ICVC whenever deemed necessary.
- Promote & support a coherent committee having trust and respect for each other.
- The duties of the Vice-President shall include:
- Assisting to the President as and when necessary.
- Serving temporarily as President if the position of President become vacant.
- Assisting the EC in coordinating activities of ICVC.
- The duties of the General Secretary shall include:
- Serving temporarily as President or Vice-President if the positions become vacant.
- Coordinating the activities of ICVC and in managing execution.
- Taking the initiative for the adequate publicity of the activities of ICVC.
- Performing in the primary role for communication
- Keeping the minutes of all meetings arranged under aegis of ICVC.
- The duties of the Treasurer shall include:
- Keeping the accounts of ICVC
- Operating an account in the name of ICVC in a bank decided by the EC and issuing checks bearing signatures of persons as defined in paragraph 2 of Article VI (Income and Expenditures).
- Presenting an annual financial report to ICVC General Body and interim accounts of ICVC every six months to the EC.
- Safeguarding the monetary and non-monetary assets of ICVC.
- Filing Tax Return every year in specific forms designated by the IRS to ensure Nonprofit status.
- The duties of the Cultural Secretary shall include:
- Coordinating the cultural enevts organized by ICVC.
- Coordinating the cultural events where ICVC is invited to participate.
- Determining the list of programs for these events in consultation with the President and the General Secretary, subject to approval by a majority of the EC.
- Maintaining a vibrant relationship with the General Body by striving to be inclusive, fair and transparent in all decision making processes for cultural matters and events.
- The primary responsibility of the Cultural Secretary during an ICVC event is the
overall coordination between the various groups involved in the cultural event.
- All the members of the EC shall:
- Assist the President in achieving the overall goals of ICVC.
- Assist the Treasurer in raising funds.
- Keep the good of ICVC in mind in reflecting that in their duties.
- Work together as a team and assist each other in order to efficiently carry out the work of ICVC.
- All the monetary income of ICVC shall be deposited in a bank approved by the EC.
- The President, the General Secretary, and the Treasurer will be the signatories in the bank account. The President will act as account holder to sign check for any amount and can close or open an account. Any one of the other signatories will be able to sign a check for amount up to two hundred and fifty dollars ($250). Withdrawals over two hundred fifty dollars ($250) will require one additional signatory along with the Treasurer.
- The EC shall appoint a sub-committee of at least two Members, who do not serve on the EC to audit and certify ICVC’s year-end Statement at the end of the Membership year.
- The President, Vice-President, General Secretary, and the Treasurer may spend up to $100 at any one time during the membership year without prior permission of the EC. The EC, by a majority of vote, shall endorse such action if the expenditure was justifiable.
- The ICVC fiscal year will be from January 1st to December 31st.
- The EC shall maintain an emergency fund.
- $500 shall be allocated for the purpose of the emergency fund.
- Up to $300 of this emergency fund may be accessed at a time by the EC with consent from a majority of the EC.
- The EC shall strive to replenish and maintain this emergency fund.
- The outgoing treasurer shall calculate the total surplus funds.
- 75% of these surplus funds shall be kept in a separate account.
- Withdrawals from this "surplus funds" account shall only be made in the case of extreme emergency and must have consent from at least 60% of the ICVC members in attendance at a General Body meeting.
- In case an EC is dissolved or disbanded in the middle its term, it is incumbent on the President and Treasurer of the outgoing EC to calculate the surplus funds at the end of the previous term.
- Term for the members of the EC shall be for a four (4) years term as the calender year from January 1 to December 31 except the first EC. The first EC formed on October 01, 2011 and it will last until December 31, 2014.
- Elections for the members of the new EC shall be held in the month of November of every fourth year starting the first election on November 2014.
- Nominations will be solicited starting August 1 and completed on September 15 of the election year.
- Last withdrawal date for a nomination shall be October 10 of the election year.
- Members have to be current in membership dues by July 4 to be eligible to vote for the upcoming EC election.
- Eligible voters must be at least 18 years of age on the day of the election.
- The number of votes per membership depends on the membership category assuming the other requirements of this section are met
- Single Members have 1 vote
- Couple Members have 2 votes
- Family Members have as many votes as there are adults above the age of 18 years in that family.
- The EC shall select an Election Commissioner at least 30 calendar days before the date of the election and all responsibilities for conducting the election.
- The Election Commissioner shall not be:
- A sitting Member of the EC in office.
- A candidate for the next election.
- A family member of a candidate for the next election.
- Any person with a conflict of interest with any of the candidates running for
- The Election Commissioner shall be a Member of ICVC.
- Nominations in writing proposed by one Member seconded by another and accepted by the candidate must be received by the Election Commissioner on or before such date as defined in paragraphs C and D.
- Once the Election Commissioner verifies a nominee as eligible for the position sought, the name of the candidate shall be forwarded to the EC for inclusion in the election materials sent to the Members.
- The Election Commissioner shall have the power to set working rules, which are in
accordance with the principles of Article II (Purpose) and Article VII (Election) of these By-Laws.
- Election shall be by secret ballot except when an office is uncontested.
- The Election Commissioner shall conduct the election and announce the election results and names of the new EC Members as soon as possible following the vote.
- Whichever candidate receives the most votes for the position shall be declared the winner.
- In case of a tie the winner will be decided by a coin toss.
- The EC has the power to set up any independent autonomous SPECIAL TASK COMMITTEE to fulfill a TIMELY objective or goal of ICVC.
- The autonomous SPECIAL TASK COMMITTEE will be given full authority to conduct its
business and fulfill its mission as defined by an EC resolution. Said committee shall stay in force until this SPECIAL TASK is accomplished, regardless of changes in the EC Membership, or any amendments.
- A SPECIAL TASK COMMITTEE can be removed by a seventy-five percent (75%) vote of the EC.
- Members of EC are expected to behave as true professionals with a sense of dignity, respect and tolerance for each other during meetings, events, get-together, etc. The code of conduct shall be in accordance with provision outlined in Robert’s rule of order.
- A special need to make ICVC an attractive and successful organization, each member needs to make an extra effort to do a good PR (Public Relation) job – especially during events and social gatherings.
- Any information sent electronically should be in accordance with the provisions provided by the Robert’s rule.
- All deliberations of the EC shall remain confidential.
Please Click here to download the Association By-Laws of ICVC.